All You Need to Know About the COVID-19 Vaccines
All You Need to Know About COVID-19 Vaccination 12th April 2021
COVID-19 vaccines strengthen our immune system, and help it recognize and combat the coronavirus. The type and frequency of doses vary for different vaccines, however, beneficiaries are advised to take two shots of vaccines currently available in the country. Post vaccination, it generally takes a minimum of two weeks for anyone to build immunity against the virus.
Key Information and COVID-19 Vaccine Advisory:
- From 1st April 2021, all individuals over the age of 45 (irrespective of co-morbidities or pre-medical conditions) are eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Beneficiaries are requested to complete all prescribed doses of the vaccine.
- As per medical experts, post-vaccination effects (nausea, mild fever being the most common) are normal.
- Even after vaccination, all safety measures for COVID-19 are to be strictly followed at all times, including social distancing and wearing masks.
- The duration for which the COVID-19 vaccines are effective and its efficacy against the new strains of the virus is still unknown. Hence, it is absolutely essential to not let our guards down.
- We urge you to not be misled by fake vaccine marketing / promotions, as it is not available in open markets yet.
- Do not attend a vaccination appointment if you are self-isolating, or awaiting COVID-19 test results, or are unwell.
- Research efforts are ongoing for knowing how many people should get vaccinated to attain herd immunity (which means enough people being vaccinated making it tough for coronavirus to spread from person to person). Hence, rumors about herd immunity being already attained, should strictly be ignored.
- To know more about the vaccines, please download the CoWIN App, or log on to www.cowin.gov.in. You can also visit the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) website (www.mohfw.gov.in) for regular updates about COVID-19.
- For any queries, call the Government helpline number 1075 or +91 11-23978046.
Cost and Availability of COVID-19 Vaccine:
- Vaccines are available at different government hospitals for free and at private hospitals at a price of INR 250 per dose.
- The COVID-19 vaccination providers cannot deny any individual above the age of 45 to get themselves vaccinated, except for reasons best known to medical practitioners.
- The government is currently working on making the vaccines widely available for everyone at no cost in the coming months.