Moving into a new house? Follow this essential checklist
Moving into a new house? Follow this essential checklist 30th Sept 2021
The idea of moving into a new home is exciting, but the process of it can be hectic. Even finding a good apartment in the desired locality within your budget is a struggle.
Packing and moving all your things is a challenging task; you need to ensure that you change your address in all places, cancel utility services at your old house, and much more.
But the whole process becomes easier when you organize and maintain a checklist for all the tasks.
Staying on schedule will help you calmly move into your new house, and it will even give you time to make any last-minute changes.
Time becomes more precious as the moving date approaches, so we have made the checklist that will speed things up for you.
1. One month before:
● Look for moving companies and get an estimate quote from them.
● Start selling items you would not take with you.
● Make a list of items you need to buy for your new house.
● Schedule a pickup for items you are donating.
● Find a new doctor, dentist, and veterinarian in your new locality.
● Enroll your children in a new school.
● You should purchase online general insurance before moving into your new house.
● Check whether your new house requires any repair work.
2. When you decide on a moving date:
● Finalize a moving company.
● Take leave from work for moving and unpacking.
● Schedule an installation for electronics like television, air conditioner, geyser, and internet connection.
● Cancel utility accounts at your old home and set them up at a new house (utilities like water, electricity, and gas)
● Make a list of all the items you’ll be packing, from your television to your bathing bucket, don’t skip anything.
● Start packing your items into boxes and use tapes and bubble wraps to avoid any damage.
● Update your address to:
○ Your office
○ All important documents – Aadhar card, Driving license, Passport
○ Institutions like schools or colleges
○ Friends and family
○ Financial accounts like a bank, retirement accounts, student loans
● Mail or call your insurance agent to change your address. You can also go to your online general insurance website and do the procedures to change the address.
3. One week before:
● Clear your refrigerator. Eat or toss the food in your kitchen.
● Confirm the details with the moving company.
● Stock your medications.
● Prepare a bag with everything you will need before you unpack.
● You will need a few toiletries, blankets, and mattresses for the first few days until you settle fully.
● Check everything thoroughly before you finally leave your old home, and verify your checklist to confirm that all the boxes are loaded in the truck.
4. After you move and settle in:
● Change all your locks and set up a security system.
● Check if all the packed boxes are in place and nothing should be missing.
● Arrange all the things properly to their desired places.
● Get your security deposit from your previous landlord.
● Open a new bank account if your current bank doesn't have a branch in your new locality.
● Create a home maintenance list.
Now you have a clear idea of how to go about your moving process. Use this checklist to avoid any mistakes during your move, and another essential thing to do is greet your new neighbours. They can help you out with a lot of stuff. Also, don't forget to throw a housewarming party and invite your friends, family, and new neighbours over. It will be a great motivation not to delay unpacking.
To get the best quotes for a home insurance policy, click HERE .
Disclaimer: The information provided above is for illustrative purposes only. To get more details, please refer to policy wordings and prospectus before purchasing a policy.